Sunday 9 May 2010

If the hat fits......


I did promise that my next post would be an explanation of the “hat” comments left on another blog, so it will be.....
Not the next post, this post.

Many moons ago I spent a week in Birmingham (near to Cadbury World, mmmmmmmmmm) on a training course and during said course we (about 26 ish of us) were put into small groups (of 4 or 5) and all given hats.

The scenario was that we were a team and had been invited to an award ceremony but only had 2 tickets, between us we had to decide who were the best people to go, who would like to go, who wouldn’t etc.

On the hats (the person didn’t see what was on their own) was a little bit about them personality wise, e.g. “I’m a natural leader and good organiser” --- “I’m quite shy and don’t like social events so don’t want to go”—I’m a real party type and love such occasions so definitely want to attend” – “I’m sensible and organised but not worried if I go or not” etc etc (there was more info re personality and temperament etc but I can’t remember as I have slept since then)

Initially it is all quite a jolly wheeze (not sure how that saying crept in) but as it went on it became quite unusual, almost disconcerting, especially if your “hat” doesn’t match your own personality (which invariably it didn’t) as you find yourself starting to act and react differently, as people see and treat you differently, all very confusing.

It becomes a real internal conflict as you are forced to change the way you are to fit in with the way you are treated, you then start to think, what if this is how I am anyway and how others see me, maybe I have been wrong all this time, why do I act the way I do, think the way I think, is it because its inherently me or is it a reaction to those around me...... very deep lol.

That’s that covered, well hats do that don't they, cover.......

On a separate (though slightly linked) topic, I was talking to someone the other day about a story I wrote many years ago, only a short one and very much based on a song by one of my favourite bands, I have linked to the song here and to the lyrics here, for those that are mildly curious. Basically it’s about a guy that changes his appearance to fit his personality, or does his personality change to fit his appearance, as I said, slightly similar to the hat scenario.

I’m going now, not sure whether to change my hat or my face, or both, or neither, on second thoughts I will leave it as it is, I actually really like me :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment