Friday 6 November 2009

Flicking your thing!


I was talking with someone today and it reminded me of something I had totally forgotten, I'm sure we all have moments like that (you certainly do as you get older)...(or is that just me lol) when you hear/see/smell/taste/feel or just remember something that you had totally forgotten about, well that's what happened today while at work.


Not that I was at work, well sort of work, actually instead of explaining just see the previous post from yesterday.



I suppose before I actually get to the point and tell you (dear reader) what I'm talking about and what it is that I was reminded of/remembered earlier today (best not delay to long either or I will forget it again) I should tell you what this post is NOT about.

In this context flicking your thing is NOT about that well know (possibly) and American (probably) saying “flicking the bird” (also known as flipping the bird) for that is a rude gesture and we don't do rude gestures do we boys and girls, unlike this, gentleman???? who got into serious trouble for it link, in itself quite surprising as he looks a very charming, placid and welcoming guy........
 
Its not just flicking fingers (birds) that can you get into trouble with the powers that be either link, no doubt another charming man like the first, not Morissey (charming man) I mean the first man mentioned in the post.
 
I'm not actually referring to either of those “flickings” in this post, they aren't the one I forgot (if I ever knew or even cared about them) nor am I referring to flicking your drag (or drag flicking) … (a Hockey term apparently). Or the “flicking” used in cycling (a term to describe one rider blocking another)...(again, apparently, I'm no bloomin expert don't ask me), no, none of these things.

Other things I am not referring to are having wave looking patterns in your hair (predominantly for males of Afro-Caribbean origin) which is also “flicking” or (bringing it back to birds, well I started with the bird word) “the flicker”, which is a large North American woodpecker of the genus Colaptes, especially Cauratus, the common flicker, having a brown back, spotted breast, and white rump, how nice for it.

No, I refer to none of the above.
 
The flicking I am referring to is that finger action that is involved in that classic game dating back to the 1940's (and still going strong now) Subbuteo.

For those that don't know its basically a little plastic (originally, but not now) man attached to a base that you “flick” around a table top football pitch in order kick a little ball into a little goal and beat your opponent.
I could provide loads of links and info for it as there appears to be absolutely tumultuous amounts, including ones that demonstrate some VERY obsessed passionate people that clearly have far too much plenty of spare time, but I wont, I find it tedious boring and never liked it as a child, I certainly don't now I'm a grown up, adult, older.

Oooh lots of scoring through (not scoring goals), plenty of apparentlys in the post too........

The only reason I have mentioned any of this nonsense is because today when someone was trying to describe the action involved when playing subbuteo (apparently) he said “its like when you were younger playing subbuteo and you had to flick your thing” well it tickled me, I don't mean flicking my thing did, I mean his comment did, or more the way it was delivered did :-)
 
I have finished now, you can stop reading and move along, thanks for seeing it through to the end................

No comments:

Post a Comment