Saturday 28 November 2009

Larry the Sandboy


Its ok, I'm not, don't panic, I'm not a bird I mean, nor do I have a French Fry (or a Stephen Fry)...(or a Dawn French).... no.......none of theses things.

I'm not particularly happy either, in saying that though neither am I unhappy, somewhere inbetween I guess.

I heard a person say yesterday when asked how they were, “I'm just normal” (I'm not going to do the whole what's normal thing, not in this post anyway) but I think his answer best sums up how I currently feel.

Anyway, without further ado I shall get on with the post, now that the customary preamble is out of the way I can, I think.........

So who is Larry the Sandboy?

Well that's what this post hopes to answer dear reader :-)


Although I think we all know it wont actually answer that question at all, it will quite possibly go off in all sorts of strange tangents, cover some other, irrelevant nonsense and at times become quite tedious, but answer a specific question, probably not no, sorry.

I don't actually think Larry the Sandboy exists, well he may, but I don't know him, that's not to say because I don't know him he doesn't exist, that's like a child covering its eyes and because it cant see you it thinks you cant see it. What I meant was I don't know him personally and this post is most certainly not about him.

This post has arrived due to something I heard yesterday.

Someone on the radio said they were as “happy as a sandboy” and I though to myself, what does that mean, why is a sandboy happy, what does he do in the sand, are there such things as sandgirls and if so are they as happy as sandboys, it opens up all sorts of questions.

Why did I have to listen to it, why did the person say it, if they hadn't said it or I hadn't heard it none of these things would be on my mind, but they did and I did so I now I have to confront them and work through it all, grrrrrrrr.

Well according to this (scroll down a bit) sand boys were actually men that were quite possibly drunk, thats not confusing then is it, and directly under the happy as a sandboy one is an even more confusing one in which a man called Larry is recognised as being happy.
 

Now this could well be a picture of the Larry in question, looks ecstatic doesn't he, positively overjoyed and buoyant (yes I am being sarcastic, apologies) but apparently he was an Australian boxer by the name of Larry Foley (1847-1917) but why he was particularly happy seems to be lost in the mists of time (other than the fact he lived to the ripe old age of 70 which is no mean feat in that day and age, especially for a boxer lol) but like the happy as a sandboy it doesn't really provide an answer, not one that I'm happy with anyway, I might complain actually, but then what's the point, they don't listen, even if they did would anything change, probably not no and besides if it did actually change would it be for the better.........................................................

While looking for an answer to the whys and wherefores of Larry and his sandboys (good group, you should listen to them) I also found out that you can be as happy as a clam as well, again, why a clam is or should be happy I have no idea (although apparently it has something to do with high tide and not being eaten) and I suppose not being eaten is always a good thing, well if your a clam anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment