Tuesday 22 September 2009

The Marvellous Mechanical Pod of i


For someone like me (a hoooooge lover of music) the iPod was/is a truly marvellous invention. All of most prized, coveted and long collected music in one place, a tiny tiny place at that. It also appeals to my sense of “what next” because when set on random and left to its own devices you just don’t know which of the (3000+) songs will blare out next..... heavenly......


Admittedly the initial transferring of “hard copies” of the music onto the laptop/pc (whatever is your particularly whim) is incredibly time consuming, but when done over several weeks, a few dozen or so albums each night it soon gets done. Especially when you have children, it’s amazing how excited they can get about loading cd’s into a laptop and pressing copy, well it is when they know there will be no dinner until the task is complete, you should see the chimney, its spotless, anyway, I digress.

So, it’s quite a task initially putting all the music onto your required receptacle of choice but once done it’s there for eternity and besides, once it’s on the iPod surely that’s it?

No, not really, that’s far from it in fact............

Fast forward about 6 months from when the (countless) cd’s etc were uploaded on to the laptop, and then downloaded on the iPod. In its wisdom (do they have that?) the laptop decided it had had enough of living and asked to go to a “special” clinic in Switzerland to end its life, well it didn’t, if it had it would have been easier (I could of moved the music on it to a memory stick type thingmebob first) alas it gave me no warning, it just went “pop” and is sadly no more. In itself not a great deal, it was getting old (like me) and due for replacement (no comment) so it just bought forward the purchasing of a shiny new laptop.

So after playing with it for a bit upon bringing it home, it doesn’t feel so wrong playing with it at home as it does in the shop, I realised that all the music that took so long to upload was also gone (with the old laptop). Not wishing to subject the children to upload it all again I wondered how feasible it would be to “copy” (my own music) from the iPod, for a confirmed technophobe like me,, not very was the answer.

After initially nearly wiping the iPod of everything (mass panic) I scoured the internet for a “suitable” program to assist me, thankfully I found such a program and successfully did it. Now not only is ALL the music still on the iPod but it also on the new laptop, such an enormous sense of achievement lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment