Monday 28 September 2009

I ZIMBRA (Gadji beri bimba)


               BEFORE YOU WONDER

      NO, I HAVEN'T SUDDENLY LEARNT
            
                   A NEW LANGUAGE



The post "title" refers to a song by Talking Heads, in itself not a spectacular piece of information granted, but that’s not the reason for the post…

The reason for the post is to confirm that old adage that “you learn something new everyday”
I was listening to my Marvellous Mechanical Pod of i (see earlier post with the same name lol) this morning and in its wisdom it decided to randomly play I Zimbra. Now, I probably listened to the song for the first time over 25 yrs ago (that’s a quarter of a century in old money)…(a looooong time) and have no doubt listened to it more times than I care to imagine over the following 25 yrs.

In all that time (and it is lots)…..(of time) I never ever tried to figure out what the song was about or even attempt to understand the lyrics……….. fast forward a quarter of a century and there no exists a wonderful thing called google, so I conducted a little search.

It would appear (and unbeknown to me all this time) that the inspiration for the song was a poem, not just any poem, but a piece of work by a poet called Hugo Ball.

So that’s my 1 newly learnt thing for the day, but it got better. Apparently Hugo Ball was a member of the “Dada” movement, its member’s poetry receiving the name “sound poetry” due to the phonetic basis of the work and the use of the human voice to deliver it....

I have overdone the links in this post (sorry lol) but for those that want it here is the Hugo Ball poem that led to the song I Zimbra ......

 Gadji beri bimba

So that’s another thing learnt today, blimey, who would have thought it………

No comments:

Post a Comment