Tuesday 15 September 2009

Press Cupboard

AKA Sideboard!

It struck me today (not the/a sideboard thankfully) but the word, actually more than that, the whole concept.

WHY?

Why are they called that?
Why do they exist?
Why do they remind me of my Nan?

Why oh why oh (spells yo-yo) why….
Firstly the name, they cant be called side boards because they are on their sides, if they were you wouldn’t be able to open the drawers and the whole point of owning one would be lost, i.e. a place to store toot in, equally they aren’t just boards, there is already something like that in most houses with its own name, its called a shelf.

Side could be linked to the fact that they tend to be at the side of the room as opposed to in the middle (that would be a table I guess) but then many other things are or can be at the side of a room yet they don’t come with the side prefix? The mystery deepens………………..

The why, well I covered that, a place for putting stuff in and on (bit like my blog lol)

As for them reminding me of my Nan, well I can’t answer that…. or is it a case of wont answer it due to awful childhood memories of being locked in the sideboard with nothing but jelly (strawberry) and biscuits (bourbons) for hours on end while my Nan went out in to the woods bear baiting…. No it’s the former, certainly wouldn’t be the latter, my Nan always has been (and continues to be) a truly lovely lady that’s sweeter than a really sweet thing dipped in honey then covered in sugar. (luv ya nan)

I think I need to investigate the sideboard phenomenon more, its clearly bothering me at some deep level, I will no doubt revisit this subject in the future, but for now (as I’m getting quite board of it already)……(see what I did there? bored – board)...(I know, this post is getting tedious now isn't it) I will regale you of an interesting anecdote told to me by the great (if you like all that cubist movement stuff) Picasso, actually, I will LINK you to it and to be honest he didn’t tell me, alas he died not long after I was born, not related to my birth I hasten to add, I played no part in his unfortunate death whatsoever, I promise. Also it’s not a particular interesting anecdote, but it does contain mention of a sideboard so seems a fitting and rather delayed end to this post, thank you for your tolerance throughout this mind numbing drivel :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment