Wednesday 14 October 2009

Have you been down that road?




The reason I ask is that I had a very strange experience today regarding someone I was supposed to meet.





Without mentioning names or places (to protect the innocent) I shall endeavour to explain.



I had planned to meet someone (in order to carry out a joint appointment) this afternoon as we were both coming from different directions so, therefore driving separately.

The place we were meeting is actually the home town of where the person I was due to meet lives (bear with me on this one) straightforward you would think, well I certainly did.

Admittedly they were coming from about 15 miles away (I know, not far, hardly a journey across the Serengeti) plus the place they were coming from, although unfamiliar to them was actually between their workplace and home address, again, straightforward you would think, I certainly did (ooooh déjà vu there).

Anyway, about 5 minutes before we were due to meet I got a call from said person explaining that as their “navigation equipment”? wasn’t working properly they would not be able to make it as they weren’t sure where to go. In itself not a problem and the appointment actually went better with me alone than if there had been two of us, BUT it did raise a few issues (ok, a bit strong, maybe not issues but intriguing thoughts)

Firstly, how on earth can someone not know how to get to the town they live in and also how can they be so unaware of the time it takes to get there (given they go there everyday through the town they were currently in)

But secondly (and the major thing for me) WHAT IS NAVIGATION EQUIPMENT (its ok, I do know what they meant, sat nav) … (that wonderful device that can be so useful and necessary at times) but why call it navigation equipment.

It conjured up images of the person in question floating along the motorway in their 42 foot catamaran complete with radar, map, sexton and compass.


All very odd, oh and by the way the post title relates to a classic Fast Show sketch
This one "with an owl"        

No comments:

Post a Comment