Tuesday 20 October 2009

Have your cake and eat it........


Before I start I should point out that this post and its accompanying pic are not related to the previous birthday celebration one, although a cake would have been good for the blog's 21st post anniversary it did not receive one.Also before I start (I know, I have already started) but before I do properly I feel I should post a disclaimer (anyone got a stamp) to say that I personally have no issues with what anyone does to themselves or with their life, as long as they aren't hurting others and are happy then its all good so I don't want anyone (if anyone does lol) reading this thinking I have prejudicial views about anyone.


I was driving along today, quiet happily listening to the radio (talk not music) when a subject that has been in the news came on and was discussed (link here)

Now, as much as I do feel for the gentleman and his family as it must be an incredibly difficult thing to deal with and work through, I do find myself asking a few questions.

The first stems from comments made by a person that was being interviewed by the radio station who was a former carer for said gentleman.

She explained that the man had been moved into a council run home in order to curb his weight (a few years ago when only 50 stone (ish). The point of this was to monitor and control his weight/calorie intake in order for him to undergo an operation when he had dropped down to a more acceptable (and safer) weight for the operation to be performed.

The (former) carer said that all efforts to curb his intake were hampered by not only his family who regularly bought excess food to him when visiting but also local takeaway establishments who would deliver fast food on a daily basis and pass it through his window.

He himself hampered any efforts made to assist him by adopting the attitude that its my body and I will eat what I want when I want and you cant stop me.

This in itself is true, BUT, not only is his weight causing a tremendous drain on the health/social services of his locality and subsequently ensuring that other people will go without treatment that they require due to a drain on budgets but more importantly its threatening his own life!

Now, I'm not having a dig and suggesting he has bought it on himself because he loves cake and has an over active pie arm (not thyroid) nor am I saying he is fat (I have no issues with larger people) but what I am saying is that if (for example) the gentleman was suffering form Anorexia and his condition was so bad that his life was in imminent danger then a Mental Health Act Assessment would be carried out and he would could be placed under a section of the Mental Health Act and subsequently “treated” (against his will if necessary) in order to save his life.

According to reports he does not suffer from gluttony, greed (its ok I'm not doing the seven deadly sins lol) or any other form of “self induced” weight gain but has a “recognised” illness, its a shame its not recognised to the extent that steps could be taken to save his life!


Ok, rant over, but for the record, I (like him)...(possibly) love cake too :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment